MDE20245 - Disputed oval enclosure near Span Head (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
An oval enclosure with thick stone and earth walls, now bisected by stream, was noted during a site visit in 1979. Function at present uncertain. Visible on aerial photographs held at Exmoor House. Probably not a pound.  Later interpreted as shepherd's cottage.  SS 7400 3615. The area was perambulated but no trace of any feature was seen. The area has been drained and improved since 1980 however the ground, about 410 metres above Ordnance Datum on a fairly steep south facing slope where the waters of Span Head collect, is still very damp. It is covered by rough grass and reeds and the sursface is very irregular. In several areas stones have eroded out of the slope and the 'enclosure' may have been a misinterpretation of some of these as the situation is highly unsuitable for an enclosure, pound or cottage. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. H Eardley-Wilmot, site visit, 1979.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. H Eardley-Wilmot, letter, 23 July 1980.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 October 1995.
|Grid reference||SS 7399 3614 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1050191 (Pastscape entry: 1050191)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12166
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/533
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE13174
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW44
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1050191
Record last edited
Sep 21 2020 4:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.