MDE20240 - Probable post-medieval spoil heap at Kinsford Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A doubtful barrow, probable spoil heap is visible near 'Kensford Barrow' at Kinsford Cross (MDE1199). This was visited by Grinsell in 1961, it was considered uncertain whether the site was a barrow or upcast from an adjoining quarry. In diameter the feature was thirteen paces, with a height of three feet. [1, 2] The site was visited in 1972 by the Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, who recorded that the 0.5 metre high mound was almost certainly spoil from adjoining diggings.  The feature is marked as an earthwork on 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SDE7849 Article in serial: Grinsell, L. V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. p 101, 105, 125.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Grinsell, site visit, 23 May 1961.
- <3> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. Site SS73NW13, visited 7 March 1972.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #42077 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7414 3651 (38m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12161
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/528
Record last edited
Sep 21 2020 5:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.