MDE20220 - Probable quarry spoil heap on Kentisbury Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
There is a small barrow close by the standing stone on Kentisbury Down.  Suggested barrow - very doubtful, possibly quarry dump. SS 6390 4391. A slightly pear shaped grass covered mound with no encircling ditch and with slight evidence of trenching on top. It measures 9.5 metres southwest to northeast and 8 metres northwest to southeast. No stones are visible in the mound. In view of its poor shape and the fact that there is a small quarry 60.0 metres away it is a possible but questionable barrow. All the other mounds in the field have parent hollows beside them. [2,3] This 0.8 metre high irregular mound lies in an area of amorphous mounds and depressions. A very doubtful barrow. Surveyed at 1:2500.  Centred at SS 6390 4391. A teardrop shaped, turf covered mound composed of earth and slate. The mound measures 9.4 metres north to south and 7.0 metres west to east; it stands 0.6 metres high. The southeastern side has been truncated or straightened. The mound lies in an area of small surface quarry workings and although there is no obvious surface delve nearby, it is probably no more than quarry spoil. Resurveyed at 1:2500.  The mound is also shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SDE65427 Article in serial: Palmer, M. G.. 1937. Standing stones of the Ilfracombe District. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. 488.
- <2> SMO7321 Unpublished document: Rigg, J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 20 November 1953.
- <3> SMO2625 Photograph: Rigg, J.. 1953. Possible Bronze Age Barrow from the South East. OSF/53/148/4. B/W.
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 23 August 1972.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 February 1993.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6390 4390 (15m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34770 (Pastscape entry: 34770)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12112
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/25
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1079
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW4
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34770
Record last edited
Apr 30 2019 3:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.