MDE20114 - Disproven site of post-medieval mine northwest of Parracombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Mine, p1, Parracombe. See mining journal 1877-1878.  Parracombe Mine. Reported to be at SS 667 449 0.75 miles northwest of Parracombe village. Produced silver/lead between 1877 and 1878.  At SS 667 449. Shaft on northwest side of village, in field behind former malthouse. Other workings reputedly in valley to west.  This information was supplied to Claughton from local sources and is now known to be erroneous . It is in fact a reference to the shaft and adit at SS 6675 4488 (MDE21687). 
- <1> SDE15761 Article in serial: Ramsden, J. V.. 1952. Notes on the Mines of Devonshire. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 84. 98, Figure 1.
- <2> SEM7984 Article in serial: Claughton, P.F.. 1973. The Metalliferous Mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. 4, Part 1. 6.
- <3> SDE65511 Monograph: Claughton, P.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 102.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. PF Claughton, 28 July 1993.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 July 1993.
|Grid reference||SS 665 452 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2034
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/13
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11194
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE44
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915272
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 3:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.