MDE20092 - Medieval or early post-medieval mine shaft northwest of Crangs Heasleigh Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A shaft northwest of Crangs Heasleigh Farm is at least Elizabethan age. Not recorded in the literature. Recent research has revealed the shaft and adit of this working. Its position fits in well with the continuity of the known 19th century workings to the east.  This record was recorded at SS 72 32 (data from Devon HER). It is unclear which shaft is referred to above, but it is possibly the area around SS 7357 3272 (northeast of Crangs Heasleigh). The locational data for this record has been amended appropriately.  No evidence of the shaft was found during routine field investigation.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. N.B. This record was mapped at SS 735 325 on the NRHE database, which is to the northeast of the farmstead. 
- <1>XY SDE60681 Article in serial: Beer, P.. 1972. 16th report of the Geological Section. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 104. 197-9. 198. [Mapped feature: #45983 ]
- <2> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 10 April 2019.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 April 1993.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 917389, Extant 1 December 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7357 3272 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 1581
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/1
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW14
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 917389
Record last edited
Dec 1 2021 4:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.