MDE20063 - Britannia Mine, Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
B37 Britannia Mine, see Bampfylde. Copper and iron. 'old shaft' shown on 1906 6 inch Ordnance Survey map, and 1963 map [1,2]. Dixon shows '18c western workings' at above National Grid Reference . SS 745 335. Shafts and adit in wood to west of Barham Bridge. Copper working in early part of 19th Century. Opened up for gold and copper 1852-53, gold working failed in 1854; not worked again . [5-10]  This record originates from Devon County Council HER. It is mapped at Bampfylde Mine but Claughton discusses the Britannia Mine site at a separate location to Bampfylde Mine (E.G. , above) and it has been recorded under MDE20893, a record which also originated from the Devon HER. More information is therefore required to confirm what this record relates to. [12,13]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906, 15NW.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <4> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 14 (Ident 120).
- <5> SEM7984 Article in serial: Claughton, P.F.. 1973. The Metalliferous Mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. 4, Part 1. 7.
- <6> SEM7702 Article in serial: Collins, J. H.. 1912. Observations on the west of England mining region, being an account of the mineral deposits and economic geology of the region. Transactions of the Royal Geological Society of Cornwall. 14. 683.
- <7> SDE15761 Article in serial: Ramsden, J. V.. 1952. Notes on the Mines of Devonshire. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 84. 90, Figure 1.
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3380 (April 1947).
- <9> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/12/052 (May 1977).
- <10> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7332a, 7432a.
- <11> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. 709, SS73SW/43/14.
- <12> SEM8645 Article on website: Claughton, P.F.. 1998. Gold at North Molton, and the surviving evidence to be found on the Bampfylde Mine site, Devon.
- <13> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 9 April 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 737 327 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 709
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/43/14
Record last edited
Apr 9 2019 5:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.