MDE20034 - Possible Bronze Age round barrow on Cosgate Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
One of two round barrows on Cosgate Hill. It is the eastern barrow, surrounded by a small ditch and outer bank. Marked on the Ordnance Survey map as a hut circle. Now under gorse and heather. Diameter 14 paces, height 0.5 feet. A cist was exposed in 1896 close to the edge of the road above Glenthorne. [1-4] One of a cluster of four disc barrows was noted on Cosgate Hill. Its visibility was good on aerial photographs dating to 1947 and 1977. [5-7] This record may be a duplication of information contained in MMO71 but this is not clear. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SSO410 Index: English Heritage. 1913-. Schedule of Monuments. May 1968.
- <3> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings. Volume 28 (1970), 116 (LV Grinsell).
- <4> SEM6795 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F.. 1906. The Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 38. 119.
- <5> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7948b.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4039 (April 1947).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/032 (May 1977).
- <8> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 27 January 2015.
|Grid reference||SS 7915 4882 (point) (Unknown)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 669
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/505
Record last edited
Aug 15 2016 8:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.