MDE14812 - Possible medieval or post-medieval chapel at Holy Well (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site of a chapel at Holy Well. All the building foundations have been robbed out so there is no visible remains of any structure. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The chapel is not visible in this location or nearby on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, nor on the Tithe Map for North Molton. [4,5]
- <1> SEM340859 Unpublished document: Annett, N.. 1965. North Molton and its people: the story of North Molton, a North Devon Parish. Volume 2.
- <2>XY SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North and H Chapman, 22 February 1995. [Mapped feature: #29686 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1097054, Extant 5 October 2021.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||SS 7653 3124 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1097054 (Pastscape entry: 1097054)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: SS73SE/507/1
- Devon SMR: 60637
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21695
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE30
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1097054
Record last edited
Jan 4 2022 2:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.