MDE14810 - Lower Twitchen Ball Farmstead, Twitchen (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The 1977 aerial photograph shows building remains in a small enclosure southwest of Wheatclose Cross. [1,2] A farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Twitchen.  The farmstead is labelled as Lower Twitchen Ball and shown as inhabited on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. It includes three buildings, including a farmhouse, and a well. [4,5] The farm is not entered on the 1911 census. It was most likely abandoned between 1904 and 1911. [5-8] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/12/044 (May 1977).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7831a.
- <3> SEM7993 Map: 1841. Twitchen Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 15(8).
- <6> SEM340858 Website: DC Thomson. Various. Findmypast.com. http://www.1911census.co.uk; accessed 17 March 2009.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Farmer at Eastern Farm, Twitchen.
- <8> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field investigation, 4 January 1995.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1097042, Extant 6 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7902 3124 (151m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1097042 (Original Monarch entry: 1097042)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17872
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/535
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20486
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO597
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE27
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1097042
Record last edited
Oct 6 2021 1:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.