MDE14801 - North Lode Workings at the New Florence Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
North Lode workings, part of the New Florence Iron Mine complex consists of four adits and two shafts and would appear to date form the 1870s. There are other prospecting pits visible in the area. The best preserved adit is visible as a gulley measuring 22m long and 3.2m deep with an associated spoil heap.
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Dixon D 1983 "Mining and the Community in the parishes of North Molton etc" unpublished PhD thesis,.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" map. Devonshire sheet XV.7.
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North WR 22-NOV-95 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7540 3229 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1097019 (Pastscape entry: 1097019)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE18
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1097019
Record last edited
Jan 27 2020 1:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.