MDE1459 - Bronze Age round barrow southeast of Cussacombe Gate (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Tumulus [O.E.]  Sited at SS 8076 3012 on heath and visited by Grinsell 26 October 1959. It had a hollow centre and was dug into from the south towards the centre. There were signs of a ditch. Diameter 19 paces, height 3 feet.  A heather covered round barrow 17.0 metres in diameter and 0.7 metres high, with unsurveyable traces of a ditch. Ordnance Survey 1:2500 survey revised.  The site was visited in 1992 and was said to be stable.  Centred at SS 8076 3012 is a prehistoric barrow. It consists of a turf covered circular mound 16.3 metres in diameter (summit diameter 9.8 metres ) and 1.2 metres high. A trench, 0.3 metres deep, 2.7 metres wide and at least 8 metres long has been driven into the mound from the south. The barrow lies in an area of dense tussocky grass and bracken, and the ditch mentioned by  was not identified. Aspect: predominantly southerly, although the barrow was visited in dense mist.  The feature was also transcribed from aerial photographs by McDonnell in the 1980s. [7,8] The barrow is depicted and labelled on 2018 MasterMap data.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <2> SDE7849 Article in serial: Grinsell, L. V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. p 124.
- <3> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 30 October 1972.
- <4> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A42.
- <5> SMO4967 Report: Field report for monument SS 83 SW 5, February 1995 .
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 3 February 1995.
- <7> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/12/019 (May 1975).
- <8> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8030C.
- <9> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35814, Extant 2 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8076 3011 (23m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35814 (Pastscape entry: 35814)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS83SW/4
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12335
- Environmentally Sensitive Area
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20360
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW5
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35814
Record last edited
Feb 2 2022 11:13AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.