MDE1432 - Bronze Age barrow on Venford Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 858290. A bowl barrow with slight hole in its centre on Venford Moor, is nine paces in diameter and two feet high. It was found on 28 May 1938 by Rainbird Clarke.  The site was visited on 23 July 1981 but no changes were noted.  The barrow was described as a low, bracken covered mound.  SS 85809 28973. A probable round barrow visible as a turf covered earth and stone mound 7.8 metres in diameter and 0.7 metres maximum height. The barrow lies in enclosed ground, predominantly rough grass but with a scattering of heather and bracken. Like the West Anstey Barrows some 350 metres to the west, it is deliberately set down off the summit of the ridge of Venford Moor to the southeast at about 354 metres above Ordnance Datum. It is generally in good condition with slight erosion in the east and southwest but no apparent disturbance to the centre as stated by Grinsell. 
- <1> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. 128 - possible source.
- <1> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Parish File, Timms, 23 July 1981.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Parish File with black and white photo, Horner, September 1991.
- <4>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 December 1995. [Mapped feature: #45855 ]
|Grid reference||SS 85809 28973 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WEST ANSTEY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35647 (Pastscape entry: 35647)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 7358
- Devon SMR: SS82NE/14
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20196
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NE5
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35647
Record last edited
Jan 30 2019 5:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.