MDE13271 - Possible Bronze Age barrow on North Molton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The northernmost of two barrows on the northeastern end of Barcombe Down is visible on aerial photographs dating to 1977. [1-3] A round barrow was noted on aerial photographs but was not located during RCHME field investigation.  The site was previously recorded at SS 7639 3190; however, the aerial transcription relating to  places the site at c. SS 7650 3190. The mapping for the record has therefore been adjusted accordingly. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7631c.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/12/047 (May 1977).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS7631 SF 1507/330 (24 April 1979).
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 February 1995.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 28 March 2017.
|Grid reference||SS 7650 3190 (point) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1053804 (Pastscape entry: 1053804)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17858
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/522
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20472
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE48
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1053804
Record last edited
Mar 28 2017 2:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.