MDE13267 - Post-medieval catchwater meadow south of Lower House Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A field on the south side of Lower House Farm contains a well preserved field gutter system.  The catchwater leat system is associated with Lower House Farm.  A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks south of Lower House Farm, Twitchen. Centred at approximately SS 7890 3030, four leats are visible following the contours of the south and west facing slopes, and apparently drawing water from the nearby spring. This system does not appear to be connected to any local farmyards, suggesting that this was a detached system which only distributed water to the fields and not liquid manure or other fertilisers. [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. V Heal, 27 July 1994.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 February 1995.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73082 486-87 (24 September 1970).
- <4> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition.
- <5>XY SMO7578 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195. [Mapped feature: #37800 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1053792, Extant 6 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7895 3027 (258m by 330m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1053792 (Original Monarch entry: 1053792)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 52065
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/570
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE45
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1053792
Record last edited
Oct 6 2021 2:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.