MDE1326 - Post-medieval stone quarry on Furzehill Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
(SS 73254458) Hut Circle (NR).  This feature is shown but not named on the Ordnance Survey six inch map of 1962. It is not listed by Grinsell, but may be a cairn as are other alleged hut circles in this vicinity. [2,3] McDonnell observed an irregular circular earthwork, possibly a small quarry, at SS 7325 4458. It is visible on aerial photographs dating from 1947 and 1977. [4-6] SS 7325 4459. A disused stone quarry, shown (but not annotated) on the 1889 Ornance Survey Map. [7-8] A small circular stone quarry or extractive pit of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs on the west of Furzehill Common, Lynton and Lynmouth. It is depicted but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890, suggesting it was abandoned prior to publication. The Devon HER recorded it as a third ring cairn, but when viewed in stereo it is clearly a cut feature [7,9-10]
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings. 124.
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7344a.
- <5> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RAF/CPE/UK/1980, 4079 (April 1947).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/072 (May 1977).
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 7(6).
- <8> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 September 1994.
- <9> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <10> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 281-82 (16 August 1972).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7325 4458 (32m by 32m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35494 (Pastscape entry: 35494)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12267
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/57
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20341
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO114
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW58
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35494
Record last edited
Jan 22 2018 11:41AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.