MDE13243 - Prehistoric stone setting at Long Breach Bottom (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Stone setting at Long Breach Bottom consisting of two upright stones. The first measures 0.44 metres by 0.16 metres and is 0.10 metres thick. The second is 0.35 metres high, 0.12 metres long and 0.07 metres thick. Beside this stone is a recumbent slab measuring 0.65 metres long, 0.13 metres wide and 0.06 metres thick. The positioning of this stone is fairly recent. It is therefore assumed that the setting formerly had three stones.  The setting consists of two upright (A and B) stones and one recumbent (C). Stone A is leaning and as such is considered to be rapidly deteriorating. Stone B is considered stable and stone C is slowly deterioring. Stones A and C are considered to have medium level vunerability and Stone B low level. Stone C is in poor condition due to suffering fairly severe freeze thaw conditions. Stones A and B are in fair condition.  The site is a stone setting of 4 stones consisting of three upright stones (A, B, and D), and one recumbent (C). Stone C lies at the foot of Stone B. Stones A and B/C are roughly 11.1 metres apart on a north to south alignment, whereas stone D is 3.2 metres to the east of stone A. The position of these stones is fairly irregular. The whole site sits in a gentle bowl on a slightly south facing slope in an area use for grazing. Generally the site is in a good condition, but has deteriorated since it was last surveyed. Stone A is leaning and is slightly unstable in its setting, similarly Stone D is slightly loose in its socket. Stone B remains upright but has recently been damaged and displaced, likely by a vehicle. Dead bracken around the site suggests that the area is well concealed in the summer. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1995.
- <2> SEM7899 Report: Pearce, G.. 2012. A Condition Survey of Selected Standing Stone Settings on Exmoor National Park Authority Owned Land. p26-28.
- <3>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MDE13243. [Mapped features: #45467 Stone A., MDE13243; #45468 Stones B and C., MDE13243; #45469 Stone D., MDE13243]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8145 3105 (28m by 38m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1052267 (Pastscape entry: 1052267)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW58
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1052267
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 4:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.