MDE13190 - Possible Bronze Age barrow on Fyldon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7432 3618 A round barrow seen on Fyldon Common by McDonnell on air photographs. [1-3] No trace of this barrow was found. The National Grid Reference falls on a fence line on a fairly steep southwest facing slope at about 450 metres above Ordnance Datum. To the west is what appears to be unploughed but possibly improved uneven ground of mainly rough grass. To the east of the fence the ground is similar but is more improved with low pasture and only scattered rough grass.  The photographs referenced were examined, together with others, as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme in 2008, but the mound described above could not be identified. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4445-46 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/099 (May 1977).
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7436A. [Mapped feature: #29450 ]
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 October 1995.
- <5> SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
|Grid reference||SS 7431 3617 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1050233 (Pastscape entry: 1050233)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS73NW/576
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17851
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20465
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO506
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW48
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1050233
Record last edited
Aug 18 2020 5:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.