MDE13181 - Possible Bronze Age barrow near summit of Five Barrows Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Amidst 'five barrows' is a circular feature is just visible on aerial photographs, which could be the rim of a further destroyed barrow. However, a couple of buildings are also visible: this feature could be associated. [1, 2] This site lies within the area scheduled in August 1986.  SS 7318 3679 An amorphous turf covered stony mound near the summit of Five Barrows Hill. It lies some 60 metres westsouthwest of the Ordnance Survey Trig Pillar and about 490 metres above Ordnance Datum, in an area of improved pasture which is reverting to rough grass. A circular mark is visible here on aerial photography taken in 1994.  Probing revealed that the mound, which is about 26 metres northeast to southwest by 18 metres and some 0.4 metres at maximum height, had a significantly higher content of stone than the surrounding area. After an exceptionally dry summer the mound stood out as an area of lighter drier grass with a predominantly stony content in the northwest and a low scarp around the eastern half. The mound is surrounded by at least 9 barrows of the Scheduled 'Five Barrows' group and it may well be the ploughed down remains of a barrow. It lies on the summit area whereas its neighbour to the southeast lies on the hillslope. [5, 6]
- <1> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . CUC/AMN 92 (1 December 1965).
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . CUC/CBO 15 (7 September 1976).
- <3> SEM7295 Report: English Heritage. 1999. List of Scheduled Monuments: Devon, and the Unitary Authorities of Plymouth, and Torbay.
- <4> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . 6 October 1994 AF/94, IRFC/880 Run 2, No: 0901 Exmoor 1:10000.
- <5> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. English Heritage, County List of Scheduled Ancient Monuments: Devon 19 County No: 469.
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 August 1995.
|Grid reference||SS 7318 3679 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1050208 (Pastscape entry: 1050208)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS73NW/539
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 16794
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20425
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW47
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1050208
Record last edited
Mar 18 2019 4:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.