MDE1313 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Ilkerton Ridge, Grinsell's No 7a. A bowl barrow diam 5 paces ht 1 ft when found in July 1961. SS 71904481. (1) There are numerous mounds similar to this one noted by Grinsell on Ilkerton Ridge (in an area centred SS 71884486). They are mounds of solid peat and appear to be natural features. (2) SS 71884483. A heather and bracken covered mound about 4m diameter and 0.4m maximum height. Stone could be felt on probing. The closeness of the NGR suggests that this is the bowl barrow seen by Grinsell (1) in 1961 however the mound is rather amorphous and does not have a good form so, despite other prehistoric cairns in the area, it appears rather dubious and its classification as a barrow cannot be confirmed. (3)
- <1> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings.
- <2> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 MJF 17-SEP-74.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Sainsbury IS, 06-SEP-1994 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7188 4483 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35451 (Pastscape entry: 35451)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SW 40
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW43
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35451
Record last edited
Dec 3 2010 2:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.