MDE1299 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
(SS 72674352) Hut Circle (NR) (1) Hut Circles between Warcombe Water and Ruckham Combe. (Not mentioned by Grinsell in Arch of Exmoor). (2) There is no trace of a hut circle at this map reference; however there is an amorphous mound approximately 6.5 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high here, but this is most probably an alluvial deposit from the river as it lies on the floodplain. (3) SS 72674352. A hut circle is depicted on the 1891 Ordnance Survey 6" (a). The site lies at the bottom of a steep slope on the alluvial flood plain of the West Lyn River on the east side of Ruckham Combe. It is an unsuitable site for a constructed feature as it would be threatened every time the river was in spate. (4)
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SMO5476 Monograph: Page, W. (editor). 1906. The Victoria History of the County of Somerset. Archibald Constable and Company, Limited (London). 1.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 MJF 09-SEP-74.
- <5> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Sainsbury IS, 04-MAY-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ordnance survey 1891 (Surveyed 1887-88) 1:10560 Devon Sheet 7 SW.
|Grid reference||SS 7266 4351 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35409 (Pastscape entry: 35409)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SW 47
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW29
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35409
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 1:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.