MDE1291 - Alledged Barrow Retaining Wall, Ilkerton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
South-west of Furzehill at SS 72304460 a rough circle of 22 recumbent stones, possibly the retaining circle of a barrow. It measures 25 paces in diameter. Recorded by Rambird Clarke in 1939.  This "rough circle" of stones was not located on the ground. There are numerous peat mounds in this area but these appear to be natural features.  SS 72304460. The area is a flat topped ridge covered by heather and rough grass at the southern end of Ilkerton Ridge at about 325 metres above Ordnance Datum. No trace of these 22 recumbent stones was identified. When B.H Galland was surveying for the Lynton Tithe map  in 1840 one of his main stations was very close to the spot given by Grinsell . A marker for this survey may have been seen in 1939 and it has since been removed.  The site was subject to survey in 2012 and the grid reference SS7230144600 given by GPS. Four stones were identified around a small mound, thought to be the Bronze Age mound. Three of the stones were mostly concealed and recumbent. 
- <1> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 123.
- <2> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 Fletcher, M. J. 17/09/1974.
- <3> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury, I. S. 08/09/1994.
- <5> SEM7915 Report: Slater, E.. 2012. A condition survey of standing stones on Badgworthy Land Company owned land, Exmoor National Park. p32-33.
|Grid reference||SS 7229 4459 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35385 (Pastscape entry: 35385)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SW 46
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12254
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20328
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW21
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35385
Record last edited
Jan 3 2013 12:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.