MDE12864 - Prehistoric or post-medieval standing stone on Shallowford Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 712 442: Large standing stone on Shallowford Common (estimated height 0.3 metres by 0.3 metres at base and 0.7 metres high) oriented and leaning roughly northwest. Could be a prehistoric standing stone or a rubbing post erected after common enclosure.  SS 7128 4419. An earthfast stone, 0.9 metres long, 0.4 metres wide and 0.15 metres thick, situated in an enclosed area of rough grass about 350 metres above Ordnance Datum on Shallowford Common. The stone leans to the northwest and its tapering chisel top is about 0.7 metres above ground level. There is an erosion hollow around its base and a few exposed small stones may be loose trigger stones. The stone lies at the northern end of a possible prehistoric field system (MDE1300) and as such it could be contemporary, however it may be no more than a rubbing stone. Surveyed at 1:10000 only.  A thick post measuring 1.0 by 0.4 by 0.4 metres, recently recumbent is present in the centre of the field on Shallowford Common. The stone was apparently shallowly set, suggested by the small socket alongside the lichen and moss growth at the stone’s base. The lack of packing stone in the socket and apparent shallowness may suggest that this is a post-medieval rubbing stone placed in the centre of the enclosed field, however, it is also in a landscape with many other reported prehistoric standing stones. The condition of MDE12864 is currently “Bad” on account of its recent recumbencey. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit, A Preece, 3 Jan 1993.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 September 1994.
- <3>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MDE12864. [Mapped feature: #45459 Standing Stone., MDE12864]
|Grid reference||SS 7131 4415 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044240 (Original Monarch entry: 1044240)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 56017
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/125
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21617
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW137
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044240
Record last edited
Mar 1 2021 9:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.