MDE12859 - Probable Bronze Age burial cairn on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Small circular feature approximately 150 metres west of stone setting on Cheriton Ridge. Possible hut circle. The feature's visibility is fair on the 1947 aerial photograph. [1,2] SS 74792 44303. A cairn prominently situated at about 375 metres above Ordnance Datum on the western edge of a slight plateau in the centre of Cheriton Ridge. The area is predominantly heather with a scattering of rough grass and bracken. The cairn, obviously the feature seen by McDonnell, is evident as a well-formed heather covered mound, 6 metres in diameter and 0.7 metres in maximum height. Probing revealed stone just below the surface. A small irregular hollow in the northeast quadrant may be robbing. Its situation, form and content suggest it as a prehistoric cairn. Surveyed at 1:2500.  This site is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980. 4077 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7444d.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 September 1994.
- <4> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 29.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1044121, Extant 18 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7479 4430 (54m by 56m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044121 (Pastscape entry: 1044121)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/101
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18185
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20825
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW131
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1044121
Record last edited
Jan 18 2022 12:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.