MDE12858 - Mound on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7465 4428. Low circular mound on cheriton ridge. Possibly a barrow. It's visibility is fair on the 1947 aerial photograph. (1-2) The national grid reference given falls on gentle heatherclad slopes on the west side of Cheriton Ridge about 360 metres above ordnance datum. Perambulation in the vicinity of the national grid reference revealed no trace of any low circular mound or possible feature, natural or otherwise. (3)
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980. 4077.
- <3> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury, I. S. 13/09/1994.
|Grid reference||SS 7464 4427 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044119 (Pastscape entry: 1044119)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW100
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18184
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20824
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW130
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044119
Record last edited
May 24 2012 11:24AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.