MDE12858 - Possible Bronze Age barrow on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7465 4428. Low circular mound on Cheriton Ridge. Possibly a barrow. It's visibility is fair on the 1947 aerial photograph. [1,2] The national grid reference given falls on gentle heatherclad slopes on the west side of Cheriton Ridge about 360 metres above Ordnance Datum. Perambulation in the vicinity of the national grid reference revealed no trace of any low circular mound or possible feature, natural or otherwise. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980. 4077 (April 1947).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7444C. [Mapped feature: #47077 SS7444C]
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 September 1994.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7464 4428 (30m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044119 (Pastscape entry: 1044119)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/100
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18184
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20824
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW130
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044119
Record last edited
Mar 1 2021 9:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.