MDE12857 - Post-medieval turf cutting at Hoaroak Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 7436 4358. Small rectangular ditched enclosure associated with Hoaroak Farm. Its visibility is very good on the 1947 and 1977 aerial photographs. [1-3] An area of old turf cutting probably associated with Hoaroak Cottage.  The rectangular area of peat cutting is clearly visible on aerial photographs, lying due east of Hoaroak. It measures approximately 25 metres long by 18 metres wide. It is most likely associated with the settlement at Hoaroak and presumably dates to the 19th Century. It is not evident from photographs whether the peat provided fuel for the house, or turfing for the enclosure walls. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor up until the 20th Century, and may well continue in places today. [5-7] A small field to the east of Hoaroak Cottage, known as ‘Moor’ on the tithe apportionment, has been cut for turf. The remains of turf pits can be seen over most of the field.  A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7407 Aerial photograph transcription: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Aerial Photograph Transcriptions of Sites in the Exmoor National Park (CRAAGS). 1:10560. SS7443c.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980/3079 (April 1947).
- <3> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/13/072 (May 1977).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 May 1995.
- <5> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P. 232-33.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4126-27 (8 November 1952).
- <7> SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <8> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 36.
- <9> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1044118, Extant 18 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7437 4356 (31m by 31m) GPS derived|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044118 (Pastscape entry: 1044118)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW97
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18181
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20821
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO494
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW129
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1044118
Record last edited
Jan 18 2022 12:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.