MDE12848 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS7180 4444 Vegetational mark suggesting sub-rectangular banked enclosure seen by McDonnell(a) on air photos(b)SS7177 4442 A sub-rectangular embanked feature situated on heather and rough grass clad gentle north-facing slopes at about 350m above OD on Thornworthy Common. It measures 5.8m NE/SW by 3.8m internally and is about 0.3m deep. It has obviously been deeper but the interior had become waterlogged and overgrown with moss and rough grass. The excavated material has been dumped mainly along the southeast side forming an earthen bank (the most prominent feature of the site) which is now overgrown with heather and about 0.5m high and up to 1m wide. An apparent break in the northeast side may have been an entrance. The area is very wet and the majority of debris on the upper southeast side may have been to deflect water.The feature appears modern and is probably associated with WW2 military training earthworks in the area (see SS 74 SW 122) possibly as an observation post for mortar firing.Surveyed at 1:2500 (1)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. McDonnell R 1977-85 CRAAGS Exmoor Air Photo Survey.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Air Photos:Jul 1946 RAF/106G/UK/1655,4065.
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Sainsbury I S 5-SEP-1994 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7176 4441 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044046 (Pastscape entry: 1044046)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW88
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW120
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044046
Record last edited
Jun 25 2009 10:14AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.