MDE12845 - Possible Bronze Age burial cairn north of Wood Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7161 4269. A low ring bank north of Wood Barrow seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs. [1-3] The National Grid Reference given falls on rather wet, rough grassland crossed by hollow ways. It is astride the Devon/Somerset County Boundary; near the summit of the ridge; and overlooks the valley of the Barbrook to the north. A stone setting lies about 180 metres to the northwest, Wood Barrow is some 160 metres to the south and there are several barrows along the ridge to the west. As such it is an excellent situation for a cairn however no trace of this feature could be found. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/118 (May 1977).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK 1980.3085 (April 1947).
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7142a. [Mapped feature: #44452 SS7142a]
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 March 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7160 4267 (26m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044005 (Original Monarch entry: 1044005)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/84
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18168
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20808
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW116
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044005
Record last edited
Mar 1 2021 10:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.