MDE12844 - Post-medieval field boundaries on Challacombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 70 42. Lengths of bank forming old field boundaries seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs. [1,2] SS7032 4245 to SS 7095 4240 and area centred SS 7013 4212. (Positions sketched from aerial photographs only). A series of banks on the rough grass and heather clad slopes on the north side of Yarbury Combe. Not fully investigated but where seen near the east end the well formed earthen bank was about 4 metres wide and 0.9 metres maximum height. It has a ditch some 2 metres wide and 0.4 metres deep along its northern side. As suggested they are probably old field boundaries, possibly of pre-enclosure origin. No survey action. 
- <1>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. [Mapped feature: #44195 ]
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/118 (May 1977).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 March 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7065 4235 (657m by 225m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043973 (Original Monarch entry: 1043973)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/115
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW115
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1043973
Record last edited
Mar 1 2021 10:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.