MDE12842 - Possible Bronze Age cairn south of Woodbarrow Hangings (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7106 4255. A round mound seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs. N.B. The georeferencing of this feature suggests it abuts the field boundary to the south of the easternmost Longstone Barrow (MDE1282). [1-4] The NGR given falls on rather wet, rough grassland on the southern summit of a ridge. There are several barrows along this ridge to the east and west. As such it is a good situation for a cairn; however, no trace of this feature could be found. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SS7142:SF 1460/36 (7 March 1979).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3085 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/118 (May 1977).
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. ss7142a.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 28 March 2018.
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7105 4254 (41m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043932 (Original Monarch entry: 1043932)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/82
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18166
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20806
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW113
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1043932
Record last edited
Mar 1 2021 10:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.