MDE12842 - Possible Bronze Age cairn south of Woodbarrow Hangings (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7106 4255. A round mound seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs. N.B. The georeferencing of this feature suggests it abuts the field boundary to the south of the easternmost Longstone Barrow (MDE1282). [1-4] The NGR given falls on rather wet, rough grassland on the southern summit of a ridge. There are several barrows along this ridge to the east and west. As such it is a good situation for a cairn; however, no trace of this feature could be found.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SS7142:SF 1460/36 (7 March 1979).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3085 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/118 (May 1977).
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7142a.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1043932, Extant 17 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7105 4254 (41m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043932 (Original Monarch entry: 1043932)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/82
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18166
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20806
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW113
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1043932
Record last edited
Jan 17 2022 9:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.