MDE12839 - Possible Bronze Age barrow southeast of Longstone Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7076 4274 An alleged barrow seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs. [1-3] The National Grid Reference given falls on rather wet rough grassland some 60 metres southeast of Longstone Barrow near the southwest lip of the head of the valley of the Barbrook. There are several barrows along this ridge to the east and west. As such it is a good situation for a cairn; however, no trace of this feature could be found.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/118 (May 1977).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK 1980.3086 (April 1947).
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7042b. [Mapped feature: #44457 SS7042b]
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 March 1995.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1043875, Extant 17 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7076 4273 (30m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043875 (Original Monarch entry: 1043875)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/77
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18161
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20801
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW110
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1043875
Record last edited
Jan 17 2022 9:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.