MDE12837 - Possible Bronze Age barrow east of Longstone Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7083 4280. An alleged barrow seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs. [1-3] The National Grid Reference given falls on rather wet, rough grassland some 120 metres northeast of Longstone Barrow on the southwest lip of the head of the valley of the Barbrook. There are several barrows along this ridge to the east and west. As such it is a good situation for a cairn; however, no trace of this feature could be found. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/118 (May 1977).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK 1980.3086 (April 1947).
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7042b. [Mapped feature: #44456 SS7042b]
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 March 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7083 4279 (34m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043857 (Original Monarch entry: 1043857)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/76
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18160
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20800
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW109
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1043857
Record last edited
Mar 1 2021 10:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.