MDE12833 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS7234 4454 An alleged prehistoric field system described by Earley-Wilmot (1) in 1981 as covering about 100yds by 50yds and consisting of 'various low stone and earth walls, about 3-5ft wide and 6" high. A higher western wall may be a double wall. There is also a small standing stone, a circular platform and several small conical mounds. (Sketch plan) SS7234 4454 This field system was also reported by Preece (2). Further shallow banks noted to the E, one of which includes a small sub-oval feature which may be a gateway. Preece suggests that Eardley-Wilmot's 'double wall' may be a single robbed and scattered wall and the site may be a prehistoric field system or a medieval stock enclosure with a possible counting gate. (Sketch plan).SS7234 4454. No field system could be seen at the reference given or elsewhere in the vicinity. The only feature that could be described as 'low stone and earth walls' was at SS 7227 4458 where there are two linear turf and heather covered mounds with a stony content. The southern one is 6m NNW/SSE by 3m; 4m to the north is a parallel mound, 11m by 3m. There is a slight southern 'lynchet like' extension of the eastern side of this northern mound which combined with the southern mound may have been interpreted erroneously as a double wall. The gap between the two mounds may have been interpreted as a 'gateway'. The purpose, or period of the mounds is not clear. No standing stone, circular platform or small sub-oval feature could be seen however there are a few irregular stony mounds which may be attempts at clearance but these could be natural features. (1-3)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Eardley-Wilmot H in Devon SMR SS 74 SW 69. 3-SEP-92.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Preece A in Devon SMR SS 74 SW 69 3-SEP-92.
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Sainsbury I S 8-SEP-94 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7227 4458 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043708 (Pastscape entry: 1043708)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW68
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW102
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1043708
Record last edited
Jan 19 2011 2:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.