MDE12831 - Possible reused prehistoric stone gate post north of Hoaroak Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
SS 74033 43966. A large stone, now reset in the wall on the east side of the trackway to Hoaroak. It is 1.8 metres high, 0.6 metres wide at its base (tapering to a point), and 0.3 metres thick at best. Two holes containing iron gate hinge brackets are on its west face. A stone, presumably this one, is marked just to the north of the field wall on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map . Eardley-Wilmot, who saw the stone when it was laid by the wall suggests that it served as a marker for the track before the fields were laid out and it was subsequently used as a gatepost . The stone is somewhat pointed and angular and is not a 'typical' rectangular slab gatepost (ie reminiscent of those at the stone working site MSO7123, 1.5 kilometres to the southeast) although in slope size gateposts vary. It is possible that this stone was a waymarker, or even earlier a standing stone. Surveyed at 1:2500.  This post is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme. It was interpreted as a stone gate post.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Devon 7(10).
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Worksheet, H Eardley-Wilmot, 29 September 1980.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 June 1995.
- <4> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 34.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1043643, Extant 17 January 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 7403 4396 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043643 (Pastscape entry: 1043643)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/63
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 14679
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20402
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW101
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1043643
Record last edited
Jan 17 2022 9:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.