MDE12826 - Maclaren memorial stone on Hoccombe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Colonel R.H. MacLaren threw himself onto an explosive device that went wrong, which was being demonstrated to Government officials and fellow officers. He was killed instantly, but no one else was hurt. A memorial stone was erected on the spot, with an inscription reading: "In memory of Colonel R.H. Maclaren, O.B.E. M.C. Commander C.W. Troops Royal Engineers, who was killed on duty on this spot May 20th 1941. This stone was erected by his brother officers".  Centred at SS 76708 43790, close to the summit of Hoccombe Hill is a memorial stone. It comprises a granite pillar on a square concrete base, with a plaque in memory of Colonel R.H. MacLaren.  'Memorial Stone' is marked on the 1962 Ordnance Survey map.  Colnel RH MacLaren was commander of the Chemical Weapons troops of the Royal Engineers. He died during demonstration of the prototype 5 inch rocket.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The stone is depicted and labelled on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P.225.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Wilson-North, R. 26/04/1994.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SEM8012 Leaflet: 2013. Badgworthy, Exmoor: Exmoor moorland archaeology walks series. Exmoor National Park Authority.
- <5> SEM8099 Article in serial: McLaughlin, R.T.P. 2010. The Royal Engineers' five-inch rocket and Colonel Maclaren's untold legacy. The Royal Engineers Journal. 124. 1. 10-14.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1042756, Extant 16 June 2021.
- <7>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #37768 ]
|Grid reference||SS 7670 4378 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1042756 (Pastscape entry: 1042756)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31538
- Devon SMR: SS74SE/46
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE148
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1042756
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 2:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.