MDE1260 - Burial Cairn on Pig Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
(SS 75224473) Tumulus (NR) (1) Pig Hill. A bowl barrow 6 paces in diameter and 1 3/4ft high. (2) A cairn, now overgrown with peat, but with a strong stone content and one upright slab protruding near the centre. Measurements as above. Published 1:2500 Survey correct. (3) A sub-circular, turf-covered, prehistoric cairn, centred at SS 7522 4473 is situated on a level shelf on the north-west facing slopes of Pig Hill.The cairn is 5.8m in diameter and 0.6m high; it has been straightened or truncated on its northern side, where there is also a small animal scrape which has exposed the core of the mound. The stone referred to by source 2 could not be located, although a single recumbant earthfast stone was noted on the south-east corner of the mound. (4)
- --- SEM8496 Report: Davies, W.. 2017. A Paleofluvial and Paleoecological Investigation of the Farley Water River Valley, Exmoor.
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 NVQ 24-SEP-74.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North W R 26-APRIL-1994 RCHME Field Investigation..
|Grid reference||SS 7522 4473 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35253 (Pastscape entry: 35253)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SE 12
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE16
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35253
Record last edited
Jul 3 2017 2:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.