MDE12504 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 75804920 in improved pasture is a field system. It extends over some 4 hectares of a spur called Ammony. The remains consist of banks and lynchets. The lynchets, which are very spread and stand to 0.5m high, seem to represent removed field boundaries. The compact banks appear to represent a secondary phase, possibly the later sub-division of fields. The field system is probably medieval in origin, and the formation of lynchets suggests that it was long lived. One of the lynchets is overlain by a turf-covered, circular mound, a probable clearance heap (SS 74 NE 54). (1) A rapid examination of air photography (2a) suggests the presence of a number of linear features and enclosures, of uncertain date, visible as earthworks in an area bounded by SS 758 490, SS 758 491, SS 756 493 and SS 756 492, c.300m west-northwest of Dewcombe. (2)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Andrew Miller/18-DEC-1995/RCHME: AP Primary Recording Project.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. NMR, SS 7549/1; SS 7649/1-2.
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North, WR 27-Oct-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <4> SMO4976 Report: Field report for monument SS 74 NE 53 .
|Grid reference||SS 758 492 (point)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1033005 (Pastscape entry: 1033005)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 NE 535
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE53
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1033005
Record last edited
Apr 4 2018 10:42AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.