MDE1239 - Saddle quern found at Lee Abbey (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(Area centred at SS 7019 4940) A saddle quern, said to be in situ, was found here by Christopher Rogers, son of the Warden at Lee Abbey. It lies due east of a blocked and overgrown gateway. The site was visited by S Willy on 24 June 1952 but they were unable to locate quern due to bracken. [1,2] The report is not very clear. It does not clarify exactly where the quern was found, its description, or if it was left 'in situ' or removed. A 'blocked and overgrown gateway' (the only gateway in the wall) was located at SS 70105 49295. Due east of this are bracken covered slopes, but how many metres east of the gateway the quern was found is not stated. An area of some 20 metres in diameter was searched, as well as the stones in the wall but no trace of this quern was found. The whereabouts of Mr. Rogers was not ascertained. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mr Stephen Shutter, Rudd Cottage,Trentishoe Devon.
- <2> SDE75031 Index: Willy. 1952. SS74NW. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. 6. 6.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7018 4940 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35159 (Original Monarch entry: 35159)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12209
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/26
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20262
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35159
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.