MDE1230 - Group of Mounds at Ashton Cleave (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A group of four bowl barrows. A at SS 79224873, 7 paces in diameter and 1 ft high. B at SS 79254871, 8 paces in diameter and 2ft high. C at SS 79274870, 5 paces in diameter and 3/4ft high and D at SS 79284869, 9 paces in diameter and 2ft high. All were found by Grinsell in September 1961. (1) Four, apparently undisturbed, heather covered bowl barrows, there are no traces of surrounding ditches, but a depression between A and B may be the result of soil scrape. 'A' SS 79254873. Diameter 8.0m, height 0.6m. 'B' SS 7927248718: Diameter 5.5m, height 0.5m. 'C'SS7927448712: Diameter 4.5m; height 0.4m, contiguous on NW side with 'B'. 'D' SS 79274870: Diameter 9.0m; height 0.7m. Surveyed at 1:2500. (2) A group of three amorphous mounds, centred at SS 792487, are as described by source 2. They are unlikely to be prehistoric barrows, and are reminiscent of upcast mounds, although there is no attendant pit or disturbance. (3)
- <1> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings.
- <2> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 JWS 26-SEP-74.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North WR 16-NOV-1993 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 792 487 (point)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35133 (Pastscape entry: 35133)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NE518
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NE520
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NE521
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35133
Record last edited
Jan 6 2011 2:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.