MDE1229 - Circular Feature on Cosgate Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 79184879) Mound shown but not described. (1) Tumulus (NR) (2) A grass covered mound 20 paces in diameter and 1/2ft high, visited by Grinsell in September 1961 and suggested by him to be a truncated cairn. (3) A former round barrow, diameter 22.0m, which has been completely gutted to below ground level by entry from the lower southern side. It now consists of a turf covered rim up to 4.0m wide and varying between 0.4m and 0.7m high, with an internal depth of 1.0m. An exposed section on the E internal side shows it to have been constructed of small stones and earth; classification as the site of a barrow would seem more correct. Published 1:2500 survey revised. (4) A circular and irregular hollow on the southern crest of Cosgate Hill at SS 79184879.The feature measures some 14.8m north to south by 18.6m. It is cut into the natural ground surface to a depth of 1.2m on the northern side, where it is defined by a sharp scarp, and to a lesser extent on the west and east where the scarp is topped by a bank 0.4m high. The southern side appears disturbed.The interpretation of this feature as a barrow or former barrow is unlikely. Its quary-like appearance might suggest the removal of material, but its circular shape argues against this. It is perhaps best seen in the context of the other anomalous features on Cosgate Hill, to which functions and dates are not readily ascribed (see SS 74 NE 3 & 9). (5)
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 25" CSL.
- <3> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings.
- <4> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 JWS 24-SEP-74.
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North WR 16-NOV-1993 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7917 4878 (point)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35130 (Pastscape entry: 35130)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NE517
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE10
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35130
Record last edited
Aug 15 2016 8:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.