MDE1225 - Bronze Age bowl barrow on Brendon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 7629 4528. Tumulus (NR)  Brendon Common. A bowl barrow 10 paces in diameter and 2 feet high. Gutted in the centre. Visited 1958.  A heather covered cairn, 9.0 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high. Excavated to ground level in the centre exposing its stone content, part of which has been utilized for a small modern cairn, near the east side, to support the post of a military 'Antiquity Star'. Published 1:2500 survey revised.  No change to barrow. Star still there. A number of small mounds are visible in vicinity of this barrow.  A barrow centred at SS 7629 4528. The feature lies on open heather moorland. Recent controlled burning of the moorland has clearly exposed the western half of the barrow, revealing the overall spread of the mound. It is 17.8 metres in diameter north to south by 16.8 metres and is 0.6 metres high. A central pit 4 metres square and 0.4 metres deep has been dug into its top. The spoil from the pit has been used to create a small stony cairn on the southern side which is 2.3 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high. A post supporting an Antiquity Star is set into the cairn. This disturbance is most likely to be associated with the World World Two use of Brendon Common as a military training area and ranges (see MSO7776). 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28.
- <3> SMO7325 Unpublished document: STONE, J.W.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 24 September 1974.
- <4> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. S Timms, 2 February 1983, worksheet.
- <5>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 November 1993. [Mapped feature: #46923 ]
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. raf/cpe/uk/1980.4073 (April 1947.).
- <7> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. mam/13/054 (May 1977).
- <8> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7654b.
|Grid reference||SS 7629 4528 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35118 (Pastscape entry: 35118)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NE/514
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12223
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20276
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE6
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35118
Record last edited
Jan 20 2021 12:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.