MDE1211 - Site of Sandy Way Stone (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
(SS 79203314) Sandy Way Stone (NAT)  This boundary stone is marked by this name on the Map of Exmoor of 1675 where it is shown as an erect stone between Exmoor Forest, North Molton Parish and Twitchen Common. In a law suit of 1678 depositions name it the Long Stone, but by the time of the enclosure award of 1815 the name of Sandy Way Stone was accepted. The stone has since disappeared. [2,3] Site of Sandy Way boundary stone on boundary of Forest of Exmoor.  There is no evidence of a boundary stone in the vicinity of Sandyway Cross.Some of the field banks which flanked the road on the Devon side of the county boundary have been removed to aid visibility at the junction: this may have destroyed the feature.  The stone is not marked here on the Twitchen or North Molton Tithe Maps. [6,7]
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890.
- <2> SEM7410 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1911. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press. 16-18, 131, 346, 348, 352, 356, 359.
- <3> SEM7727 Unassigned: Crawford, O. G. S.. 1927. MS Notes. OGS Crawford, 1927-8, Rec 6 inch and notes.
- <4> SSO1823 Article in serial: Rawle, E.J.. 1894. Final Perambulation of Exmoor Forest. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 40. 173.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 January 1995.
- <6> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SEM7993 Map: 1841. Twitchen Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||SS 7920 3313 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35077 (Pastscape entry: 35077)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12183
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12184
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/509
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/509/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20256
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20257
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12293
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6813
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE4
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35077
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35397
Record last edited
Aug 30 2016 9:27AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.