MDE1209 - Late medieval cross shaft in St Peter's Churchyard, Twitchen (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
In the churchyard exists the remains of a cross, the top of which has dissappeared.  Cross set in the churchyard to the south of the church. Type B. Tapering octagonal shaft, lacking head and arms, mounted upon a socket-stone square at the base with corner shoulders and octagonal above.  The tapering octagonal cross shaft is 1.7 metres high with 0.3 metre square base below the stops. It has obviously been moved to the west side of the church since Masson Phillips saw it, and the socket stone mentioned is no longer visible. [3,4] Cross shaft approximately 3 metres to the west of the tower of the Church of St. Peter. Probably 15th century or 16th Century. Sandstone. Tapered octagonal shaft, with square base. The head of the cross is missing.  Churchyard cross shaft stands 6.5 metres west of the church tower. Cross includes a shaft although the socket stone, head and arms are missing. The shaft is 1.63 metres high, of octagonal section and 3 corner stops are just visible. At the base, the shaft is 0.36 metres in diameter and tapers to 0.17 metres diameter at the top. There is no clear evidence for a socket stone. In 1937 Masson Phillips recorded that the shaft with a socket stone was located to the south of the church. By 1973 it had been moved to its present location and the socket stone appears to be missing or possibly buried.  At SS 78840 30486, on the west side of St Peter's Church, 1.66 metres high. The width of the shaft tapers from 0.2 metres at the top to 0.3 metres at the base. The eight faces average 0.1 metres across. At the foot of the shaft is a square base 0.3 metres wide carved from the same piece of stone, though obscured by moss. This is probably the socket stone mentioned by Masson Phillips. Cut into the top of the shaft is a central socket. No other fragments are visible in the fabric of the church or around the graveyard.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The cross was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM7531 Article in serial: H.S.. 1908-1909. Crosses. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 5. 1. P.94.
- <2> SDE5785 Article in serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1938. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 70. 2. P.312.
- <3> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS 73 SE 2. Plan and photograph..
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 7 March 1973.
- <5> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Twitchen (24 November 1988) 172.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. H Gerrard, 25 August 1994. Photo in Devon HER.
- <7> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. HP Chapman and R Wilson-North, 4 January 1995.
- <8> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||SS 7884 3048 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35071 (Original Monarch entry: 35071)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1549/17/215
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 691
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/506/1
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35071
Record last edited
Jan 13 2016 9:35AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.