MDE1201 - Bronze Age barrow on Bray Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A round barrow was noted to the southwest of Setta Barrow and described as a flat topped mound with no obvious ditch but margined with a growth of rushes.  "High Bray No 7", bowl barrow at SS 7256 3801 seen by Grinsell in April 1949. The barrow is 12 paces in diameter and 1 and a half feet high.  SS 7255 3803. A probable bowl barrow 14.0 metres in diameter and up to 0.7 metres high. Surveyed at 1:2500.  The barrow was observed in fair condition, although grazing had led to minor trampling.  The bowl barrow described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs as a circular mound lying immediately south of Setta Barrow (MSO6806) at approximately SS 7255 3804. It measures approximately 13 metres in diameter. Like Setta Barrow, it is situated on high ground, with panoramic views of the surrounding moor. [5,6] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0.  The barrow is depicted on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO1226 Monograph: Grinsell, L V. 1936. The ancient burial mounds of England. 137.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 122.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. MJ Fletcher 4 March 1973.
- <4> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Parish file, Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology, 18 July 1979.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 623-24 (17 April 1973).
- <6> SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
- <7> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <8> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . CUC/CBO 7 (7 September 1976), Devon HER.
- <9> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
- <10>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #40869 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7255 3803 (23m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35052 (Pastscape entry: 35052)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12163
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 729
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/503
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20081
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20242
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO62
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW15
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35052
Record last edited
Sep 22 2020 11:42AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.