MDE1200 - Bronze Age barrow on Fyldon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
"North Molton No 11" SS 7446 3636 A truncated bowl barrow, 28 paces diameter and 3 1/2' high. [1, 2] SS 7446 3636 A flat topped bowl barrow, 26 metres in diameter and with an average height of 0.7 metres. Divorced survey 1:2500.  The barrow was noted by McDonnell during anaysis of aerial photographs, as a result of this the grid reference of the barrow was given as SS 7451 3635. [4, 5] The site was visited in 1982 by Timms and Bovey. It was noted that the field had reverted to rough pasture. The barrow was viewed from the road and no change was observed. This barrow was safeguarded by the farmer when the field was ploughed in 1977. It was subsequently referred to the Department for Environment by the National Park, but has not yet been Scheduled.  The barrow described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork located on the northern edge of Fyldon Common, North Molton. It lies close to the summit of the common, with good visibility in all directions. It measures approximately 26 metres across. On the southern side the edge of the barrow is slightly flattened, indicating it may have been partially truncated by the road. Additional barrows are visible in the surrounding area, most notably at Two Barrows (MSO6807) to the east. [7, 8] The barrow is depicted and labelled "Tumulus" on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK (1980) 4445-6.
- <2> SDE7849 Article in serial: Grinsell, L. V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. p 125.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 8 March 1973.
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7436a.
- <5> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . MAM/14/099 (May 1977).
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Site visit 9 June 1982, Timms and Bovey, Devon County Council.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 11-12 (7 May 1996).
- <8> SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
- <9>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #42078 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7446 3636 (36m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35049 (Pastscape entry: 35049)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12162
- Devon SMR: SS 73 NW/529
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20241
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO61
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35049
Record last edited
Sep 22 2020 11:46AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.