MDE11953 - Post-medieval field system north of Lank Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A system of field banks, centred at SS 77804575, are situated on the northern slopes of Lank Combe. The banks are well defined, and consist of a system of boundaries running up the valley side, contained within a west to east boundary along the crest of the natural slope. They appear to be of post-medieval date.  A system of field boundaries of probable post-medieval date are visible as earthwork banks on the south facing side of Lank Combe, Brendon parish, at circa SS 777 457. On the available aerial photographs the earthworks are fragmentary in appearance, obscured in places by a variety of vegetation that covers the combe sides and crossed by a number of trackways. Nonetheless, it is clear that the banks define a number of fields, probably enclosed on a piecemeal basis, running west to east along Lank Combe for approximately 860 metres. The largest visible enclosure climbs approximately 150 metres up the combe side, but the course of a path, which probably runs alongside the fields, indicates they may reach 160 metres. It is probable that some of the north to south lateral earthworks have been lost or damaged by erosion channels forming along their flanks. [2,3]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 April 1994.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 197-8 (17 April 1979).
- <3>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped feature: #46841 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7767 4564 (875m by 169m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1002188 (Pastscape entry: 1002188)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO454
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE51
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1002188
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 2:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.