MDE11945 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
An "area of small mounds on Shilstone Hill. Mainly to west of summit" is recorded in the Devon SMR (a). Shilstone Hill, centred at SS 75984592, was used during WW2 for artillery practice and other exercises. A military camp was built north of Tippacott Ridge (SS 74 NE 19). Air photographs taken during 1946 clearly show that operations were taking place on and around Shilstone Hill (b). The mounds recorded in 1a clearly relate to the military activity in the area. The whole of Shilstone Hill is covered in areas of small (1.2m diameter) upstanding mounds, shell-holes, trenches and other military features.For a full account of the military activity in the area, see SS 74 NE 46. (1)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Devon SMR no: SS 74 NE 573.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RAF vertical air photographs 106.G/UK/501 13-MAY-46 3321.
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North W R, 22-DEC-93, RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7600 4589 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1002089 (Pastscape entry: 1002089)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 NE 573
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE38
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1002089
Record last edited
Aug 17 1999 12:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.