MDE1194 - Bronze Age bowl barrow on Bray Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7259 3793 Tumulus (NR)  "High Bray No 8", a bowl barrow measured by Grinsell in 1949 as 30 paces in diameter and 4 feet high.  Dimensions - 80 feet in diameter and 8 feet 3 inches high. There is a retaining circle 9 feet inside the circumference of the barrow with 9 stones visible.  SS 72583793 A bowl barrow 28 metres in diameter and 0.8 metres high. None of the stones in the retaining circle are visible. Published survey 1:2500 revised.  The barrow described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs as a circular mound lying approximately 110 metres south of Setta Barrow. It occupies a prominent position, on high ground with panoramic views of the surrounding moorland. The mound measures approximately 26 metres in diameter, with no visible surrounding ditch or retaining circle. [5, 6] High Bray barrow to southeast of SS73NW/503 (?). Gently conical. No obvious ditch, margined with a growth of rushes. The barrow has the remains of a double stone row pointing towards it. Located 2.7 metres within the margin it has a retaining circle, the tops of 9 stones of which are visible. [source unknown] In 1979 the barrow was observed to be in fair condition. Grazed and therefore subject to minor trampling.  This monument was visited in 1982 by the Department of the Environment's Field Monument Warden and by the Ordnance Survey's Archaeology Division. [8, 10] This is mentioned in text by Grinsell in 1936.  The site was recorded during aerial photograph investigation undertaken in 1980 and is visible on photographs taken in 1947 and 1977. [11-13] This is visible on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, annotated as a tumulus. [15, 16] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. p 122.
- <3> SEM6752 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. + Worth, R.H.. 1905. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. I. p 395, plate 8.
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 March 1973.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 623-24 (17 April 1973).
- <6> SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
- <7> SEM7777 Unpublished document: Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology. 1979. Field Notes. 18 July 1979.
- <8> SDE7946 Unpublished document: Weston, S.. 1982. Department of Environment Field Monument Warden visit.
- <9> SSO1226 Monograph: Grinsell, L V. 1936. The ancient burial mounds of England.
- <10> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS73NW8, diagram.
- <11> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7237d.
- <12> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3442 (April 1947).
- <13> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3445 (April 1947).
- <14> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/14/060 (May 1977).
- <15> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <16> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <17> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <18> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7258 3793 (36m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35033 (Pastscape entry: 35033)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 728
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/504
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20080
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO55
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35033
Record last edited
Nov 2 2015 2:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.