MDE11938 - Packhorse bridge, Brendon (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Packhorse bridge. Probably 17th Century or 18th Century. Coursed rubblestone. Humped-back shape. Single round arch with voussoirs and parapets with rubble copings. Curved retaining walls to the north abutment. Cobbled roadway with steps to south. The bridge spans the River East Lyn, which forms the parish boundary at this point. It formerly linked Brendon Mill (not included on this list) with the north bank of the river.  The bridge is as described. It spans the East Lyn River, and is now in use as a footbridge.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Brendon (24 October 1988) 8.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 November 1993.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7691 4829 (9m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1002044 (Original Monarch entry: 1002044)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1549/4/9
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NE/603
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31101
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31102
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/603/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21083
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21084
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE31
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1002044
Record last edited
May 27 2014 2:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.