MDE11930 - SLOCOMBESLADE, deserted farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
The OS 1st edition 25" mapping depicts a number of small enclosures, possibly parts of buildings within a complex, at SS 77394666; the name "Slocombeslade" is applied to the site (a) At the NGR cited are the remains of walling and enclosures corresponding with the features depicted on the 1st edition 25" mapping.The name "Slocombeslade", however, has now migrated to a farm at SS 77544707. (1) A farmstead comprising a rectangular dwelling with attached outbuilding to the east of an L-shaped barn forming a yard are shown on Brendon Tithe Map numbered 554 ('yard and buildings'). The holding fields (545- 561) are all named 'common enclosure', 551 and 553 are 'garden' and 552 is 'waste', 556-7 are 'meadow' and the remaining enclosures are 'arable'. The farmstead is not named. 
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North WR 25 NOV 93 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. OS 1st edition 25" mapping 1889, Devonshire sheet VII. 3.
- <3> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment. Apportionment number 554.
|Grid reference||SS 7738 4665 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1001716 (Pastscape entry: 1001716)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 NE 549
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE41
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1001716
Record last edited
Jun 21 2017 3:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.