MDE11740 - Possible Bronze Age burial cairn on Barham Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 74 NW 75 Cairn ? (SMR 48) SS 7036 4585. Two mounds seen by McDonnell  on air photo  on Barham Hill. [1,2] SS 7036 4588. This area, on the gentle western slopes below the summit of Barham Hill is in improved pastureland which has been deep ploughed. Only one mound is evident, this at SS 7036 4588. It is turf-covered, 8.2m diameter and 0.9m high, and has a solid stone content. There is a small hollow in the northeast quadrant. It may be no more than a stone clearance heap, however it is shown (unannotated) on the 1887 OS map  in an area of enclosed moorland. It is symmetrical and of good form and it is possible, considering the other prehistoric sites in the vicinity, that it could be a prehistoric burial cairn. Surveyed at 1:2500. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Apr 1947 RAF/CPE/UK/1980, 3057.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1887, Devon Sheet 6(4).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7036 4586 (21m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926324 (Original Monarch entry: 926324)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/48
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53801
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/48/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21530
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW75
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926324
Record last edited
Mar 24 2018 11:13AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.